Friday, June 5, 2009

nmerge 1.0 posted

OK, I've posted the first BETA version of nmerge for UNIX/Linux/OSX only. I'll add a Windows installer as soon as I can get around to it. Of course I expect it to go wrong immediately, even though I have tested it thoroughly. But I can only really gather more information by trying it on other files. And it comes currently with no example files.

Some basic installation instructions for the non-GNU afficionados:

  1. Download the nmerge-1.0.tar.gz file using the link above
  2. Open a terminal window, navigate to the download file and unpack it using tar xzf dir.tar.gz or just double click on it if you have a Mac
  3. In the terminal window type cd nmerge-1.0
  4. ./configure
  5. make
  6. sudo make install

You should now have a command "nmerge". If it complains about the Java make sure you have a valid JRE installed. It must be at least version 1.5.0 (1.4.2 is no good). To find out type java -version in the terminal window. Download a more recent JRE from Sun. (You only need the JRE not the JDK unless you also want to develop Java software). If it still doesn't work you have an issue that you should post on Google code.

The first update will contain the source code and documentation. I left it out because of my inexperience with GNU automake.

No comments: